- Pommel (Fork): Gullet height provides good wither clearance. Pommel shape is known as a “slick fork” with no swells (Buck rolls can be added if desired), designed to not interfere with rider’s hands nor reins, this pommel is not as thick as in our heavy duty NHS Roper. Roping horn is smaller than on our larger profile Vaquero Roper saddle: 2.5″//6 cm high with approx 4″//10 cm diameter TEARDROP-SHAPED flat sloping cap. The horn is slightly narrower at the base for the sake of stacking your rope coils on the front “lip” of the fork while dallying. It comes complete with protective mule hide leather horn wrap and roping strap.
- Cantle: 3.5″// 7.6 cm tall with with significant “dish” that hugs rider securely. 1.5″ // 3.8 cm Cheyenne roll.
- Seat: Grippy soft-padded textured dark brown leather seat inset-sewn into the rough out leather seat jockey. This is a labor-intensive process by skilled saddle makers, but we believe it is a must for ALL of our Ranch saddles. It provides a sturdier, stable seat from which to rope. Traditional Wade saddles had hard leather seats, but an inset of soft padded leather provides magnificent comfort for rider while facilitating the bit of flex in the tree under your seat, enabling you to enjoy feeling connected to your horse’s body motion and rhythm. Such a flexing of the saddle seat area offers good feeling and maneuverability for the horse, too. Seat pocket is deeply defined with significant front rise sloped to rider balance point toward the back of the seat.
- Leather: #1 Quality veg-tanned leather hides used exclusively. Select from color range as indicated. Lightweight or Heavier gauge leather per customer choice. Color variations (particularly noticeable in light to medium oiled saddles) are to be expected due to the differing porosity of individual hides. Some “grab” the oil more deeply and will appear darker than others. Oftimes, leather hides may tone to more reddish or orange but become darker brownish over time with exposure to sun and loving care via cleaning and oiling. We have no way to predict exactly what shade of lightness or darkness your saddle may be in the beginning, but you can count on it looking more and more handsomely seasoned with age.
- Skirts: Single layer rounded rear skirts are shaped close to tree bars and split to flex slightly for comfort in motion.
- Tooling: Hand carved and stamped. Please see selections of Borders, Floral and basket fill tooling options available. Spot Floral-B toolings have floral tooling on fork, top skirt, and cantle, border tooling on seat jockey, fenders, front skirt and rear skirt. Full Floral-B toolings have border tooling on fork, front skirt, seat jockey, top skirt, rear skirt, cheyenne roll, cantle and fenders, with additional floral tooling on seat jockey, top skirt, cantle and fenders. Individual leather surface textures (due to heredity, environment and tanning processes for each hide) result in unique properties effecting the appearance of individual saddles. Possible irregularities offer opportunities for our tooling artisans to be a bit creative in disguising texture differences of various areas. Adding some extra floral carving or slight alterations of a pattern are among ways to insure best mirroring of design from one side of the saddle to the other. Our toolers are excellent craftspeople. You can count on a beautiful result and celebrate your saddle’s individuality!
- Hardware: Brass or Stainless Steel (including matching ring on left side for mecate rein or other) Supply shortages are occurring in brass hardware and will increase lead time.
- Conchos: Selection from NHS Concho Collection.
- Main cinch rigging: Inskirt, flat plate
- Rear cinch rigging included: Riveted and angled D shaped rigging. Apparatus includes a short cinch hobble for connecting to main cinch. Rear cinch should be buckled snugly for best stabilization of the back of the saddle, and short hobble enables pressure to be located in the horse’s sternum area and not impact the soft abdominal region. Highest leather quality – doubled and stitched. Standard back cinch length is 36″// 91.5 cm, which fits most breeds. If your horse is very small or very big, please let us know and we can arrange for a custom length.
- Fenders: Free-swinging for optimum rider leg flexibility and communication. Stirrups are connected via a ‘Texas twist’, which sets them in perfect position to accept your foot with no strain on your knees. Widest point 8” // 20 cm. Cut to size for Rider inseam length. 5 basic leg length sizes available, with numbered adjustment strap holes at 1/2” // 12.7 mm increments.
- Stirrups: Please see stirrup choices available on this model.
- Latigos on both sides: For main cinch rigging – Leather or Nylon
- Breast Collar D-rings: Set high for freedom of shoulder movement.
- Bucking Rolls: Can be added for extra security. Leather pillows will match seat color, leather frame will match saddle color. Detachable if you want to remove.
- Cinch keeper: Installed on right side concho at base of cantle.
- Extra features: Matching knife holder and hoof pick holder on back billets
- Underside: Choice of Felt, Suede-covered memory foam or natural sheepskin.
- Seat sizes 15 – 17.5 available.
- Length of saddle: From front of saddle to back of curve at widest point: Approximately 24” for 16 or 16.5 and 25” for 17 or 17.5
- Weight of saddle: Average weight is 30 lbs // 14 kg depending on final choices.
Handcrafted in USA
“Welcoming” the horse’s back in motion requires that you MANAGE THE INTERFACE – which is the space between your horse’s body and the underside of the saddle. After incorporating a good saddle, this is the next most important factor for successful saddle fit when you want to give your horse the opportunity to enjoy the journey with you. With SmartSaddlePads.com saddle pads and tapered foam shims you are best equipped to custom fit the interface of your horse to adapt to individual age, top line shape and state of training.
SMARTFLX´S EXCLUSIVE, UNIQUELY SHAPED TREES ARE THE SUBSTRUCTURE AND MAJOR KEY TO SUCCESS OF ANY OF OUR SADDLES.
The very special SMARTFLX™ shape provides room needed for the horse’s back to come up in performance of any athletic maneuvers, especially ones requiring significant engagement or “collection”. Also sculpted into the SMARTFLX™ shape are the ergonomic considerations built in for the rider which enable feeling close to the horse´s body and it´s movement while securely balanced and unstressed in hip, knee and ankle joints. The “bars” and “groundseat” of the SMARTFLX™ western tree are a one-piece molded shape based on years of research and development incorporating thousands of horses worldwide. This molded piece is formed utilizing a particular, extraordinary elastomer compound material that is solid enough to support the rider and protect the horse’s back yet flexible enough to allow the horse to move as nature intended and the human to feel connected in harmony. It is amazingly thin and keeps you close to your horse. Our wooden forks and cantles provide the base stability to hold the bars at the attitude and angle that our research proved was optimal. Our english saddles are constructed with the same principles regarding the spacious, welcoming shape we know is necessary for healthy, comfortable movement. English SMARTFLX™ trees are handcrafted by Master Saddlers in England utilizing digitally sculpted, laminated beechwood bars reinforced by steel head plate and thin diagonal steel bands that support appropriate diagonal flexibility. Because the SMARTFLX™ trees are sculpted to welcome the expanded “moving” horse body, there is room to accommodate an enormous variety of horse breeds and sizes.
SmartSaddlePads.com unique shimming concept provides a simple way to offer dynamic custom fit. The welcoming “hug” of our saddles’ undersides provides for a physically and mentally un-restricted equine athlete capable of enjoying full physical potential under saddle.