A lot of customers told us they would like to enjoy the benefits that our western saddles provide for long distance and long time-period riding with a saddle that weighs a bit less and has a sporty “english” style to it. We named this special creation the HYBRID CRUISER and thousands of people and horses tell us they like the feel and they can go forever in it.
A great saddle for trail rides and long hours in the saddle!
The SMARTFLEX™ uniquely shaped tree with flexible bars and groundseat allows the rider to feel close to the horse’s body and its movement beneath while perfectly secure on balance point. The HYBRID CRUISER, like any Natural Horseman saddle, provides confidence that the horse can enjoy the ride, too.
The HYBRID CRUISER is handmade and custom crafted based on your personal style choices in the US and in Germany. Available in STANDARD (STD) or SUPERWIDE (SW) gullet. Best value in combination with the SmartSaddlePad Collection.
Highest quality veg-tanned leather.
*NOTE TO INTERNATIONALCUSTOMERS”
Europe, Canada, Australia, New Zealand: Your order will ship from our US Headquarters in Ennis, Montana. Prices do not include tax or any other fees associated with the import of your saddle. Please check with your local import department for your country´s import procedure and fees. In case you need any assistance, please contact email@example.com
- Tree: The core of this “english”-looking saddle is the same revolutionary western tree that we utilize in all of our western saddle styles. This is the key to it serving the horse well for long hours, which an english saddle is not meant to do because weight distribution is more effective via the broader surface area provided by a western tree.
- Pommel (Fork): A graceful, sturdy hornless shape offering room for high wither clearance.
- Cantle: 3″ tall with moderately open “dish” that hugs rider without trapping. No Cheyenne roll.
- Conchos: Leather rosette or selection from domed conchos out of NHS Concho Collection.
- Leather: Color variations (particularly noticeable in light to medium oiled saddles) are to be expected due to the differing porosity of individual hides. Some “grab” the oil more deeply and will appear darker than others. Oftimes, leather hides may tone to more reddish or orange but become darker brownish over time with exposure to sun and loving care via cleaning and oiling. We have no way to predict exactly what shade of lightness or darkness your saddle may be in the beginning, but you can count on it looking more and more handsomely seasoned with age.
- Seat & Knee Rolls: Smooth or suede leather, fully padded with build-up in front so seat pocket is nicely defined. Dark brown or black to tone with leather color of saddle.
- English Leathers: Are strung through the stirrup bar slots that are part of our Western saddle tree construction, which in other styles serves to hang traditional western fenders. They are ovely 1″ traditional english leathers sturdily nylon-reinforced in the core to inhibit stretch.
Skirts: Small, single layer of rounded back skirts split in the center (not laced together) offer the horse contoured flexibility in the loin area because they can move independently.
- Flaps: Dual layered, with fixed thigh block on the under flap and soft padded, tapered knee rolls on the top flap. Under flap is contoured with a curve to fit just behind horse’s shoulder blade while horse is standing at rest. Great aid for positioning saddle for optimum shoulder action freedom.
- 2-billet Girth rigging: Dual billet system is set between the saddle’s leg flaps. Rear billet is hung via a metal roller slide on a sturdy V of nylon webbing, enabling it to “float” for purposes of stabilizing the back end of the saddle. Requires a 2-buckle English-style girth.
- Stirrups: Sturdy nylon trail stirrups allowing for excellent weight distribution throughout the foot. The thick padded footbed provides comfort for the feet, ankles, knees and back and helps prevent overall fatigue. Top bar deadens the shock transmitted from the horse and long hours in the saddle without excessive bounce.
- Underside: Suede-covered memory foam.
- Tie strings: 2 sets, secured by small drop D-rings on each side of the cantle that are screwed into back skirt.
Extra Trail D’s for attaching carry-along things: 1 set of small fixed D’s at the base of the fork on either side, 2 small hinged sets screwed into back skirts behind cantle and one square D screwed into the center of the back of the cantle. (which can also be used as a crupper ring).
- Breast Collar D-rings: Set high for freedom of shoulder movement.
- Seat sizes 15 – 17.5 available.
- Length of saddle: From front of saddle to back of curve at widest point: 23 – 24” / 58-62 cm
- Weight of saddle: Average weight is 26 lbs /12 kg, depending on final choices.
Handcrafted in USA or Europe.
“Welcoming” the horse’s back in motion requires that you MANAGE THE INTERFACE – which is the space between your horse’s body and the underside of the saddle. After incorporating a good saddle, this is the next most important factor for successful saddle fit when you want to give your horse the opportunity to enjoy the journey with you. With SmartSaddlePads.com saddle pads and tapered foam shims you are best equipped to custom fit the interface of your horse to adapt to individual age, top line shape and state of training.SMARTFLX´S EXCLUSIVE, UNIQUELY SHAPED TREES ARE THE SUBSTRUCTURE AND MAJOR KEY TO SUCCESS OF ANY OF OUR SADDLES. The very special SMARTFLX™ shape provides room needed for the horse’s back to come up in performance of any athletic maneuvers, especially ones requiring significant engagement or “collection”. Also sculpted into the SMARTFLX™ shape are the ergonomic considerations built in for the rider which enable feeling close to the horse´s body and it´s movement while securely balanced and unstressed in hip, knee and ankle joints. The “bars” and “groundseat” of the SMARTFLX™ western tree are a one-piece molded shape based on years of research and development incorporating thousands of horses worldwide. This molded piece is formed utilizing a particular, extraordinary elastomer compound material that is solid enough to support the rider and protect the horse’s back yet flexible enough to allow the horse to move as nature intended and the human to feel connected in harmony. It is amazingly thin and keeps you close to your horse. Our wooden forks and cantles provide the base stability to hold the bars at the attitude and angle that our research proved was optimal. Our english saddles are constructed with the same principles regarding the spacious, welcoming shape we know is necessary for healthy, comfortable movement. English SMARTFLX™ trees are handcrafted by Master Saddlers in England utilizing digitally sculpted, laminated beechwood bars reinforced by steel head plate and thin diagonal steel bands that support appropriate diagonal flexibility. Because the SMARTFLX™ trees are sculpted to welcome the expanded “moving” horse body, there is room to accommodate an enormous variety of horse breeds and sizes.
SmartSaddlePads.com unique shimming concept provides a simple way to offer dynamic custom fit. The welcoming “hug” of our saddles’ undersides provides for a physically and mentally un-restricted equine athlete capable of enjoying full physical potential under saddle.